6 Common Mistakes That Most Parents Make When Naming Guardians For Their Children
May 2, 2022
Have you made one of these 6 common mistakes that could leave your kids in care of someone you would never choose?
1. Named a couple to act as guardians when you don’t really want both people in the couple and you haven’t said what should happen if the couple broke up or one of the partners in the couple died.
2. Only named one possible guardian. What if something happens to your first choice?
3. Have not considered financial resources when deciding who should raise your children. Your guardians do not have to (and often should not) be financial decision makers for your kids.
4. Only have a Will, which means the Court will distribute your money, it’s totally public and doesn’t protect your money from their divorce and lawsuits.
5. Did not exclude anyone who might challenge your guardian decisions or who you know you’d never want to care for your kids.
6. Only named guardians for the long-term and did not make any arrangements for the short term if you were in an accident. What would happen in those immediate hours until your permanent guardians could arrive?
If you’ve made one of these 6 common mistakes, not to worry; we have solutions! Look below to see what you can do to make sure your kids would always be taken care of by people you know, love and trust. Wealth Planning Session ($750 value!)
The Planning Session is absolutely FREE and there is NO OBLIGATION and NO PRESSURE. We understand that meeting with a lawyer isn’t high on your list of fun things to do. Many of our clients felt the same way before their planning session, but absolutely LOVE it after they’ve experienced a Family Wealth Planning Session with a Personal Family Lawyer® serving the Greater Waco area! They love the peace of mind that comes with knowing everything is set up the right way for themselves, their future and their loved ones.
This article is a service of The Bushman Law Firm, LLC, and Drew Bushman, Personal Family Lawyer® serving the Greater Waco area. I don’t just draft documents; I ensure you make informed and empowered decisions about life and death, for yourself and the people you love. That's why I offer a Family Wealth Planning Session™, during which you will get more financially organized than you’ve ever been before and make all the best choices for the people you love. You can begin by going to my website, drewbushman.com, today to schedule a consultation call and mention this article to find out how to get your $750 Family Wealth Planning Session at no charge.